"We do not remember days, we remember moments." Cesare Pavese

Thursday, January 5, 2023

a card and other things...

 Hello!  I hope your new year is off to a great start.  So far so good in my neck of the woods.  I have a card to share today and a peek at what else I have been doing over the last 6-7 months.  First up is my card.  This is for Color Hues and Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge to use something new. 


Pink and gold are such a classic color combination and so I just had to play along with the challenge.  I had recently gotten the Birch Press Piped Icing Star and so I used that for my card.  As you can see the star and accompanying snowflake are quite large so I just made them the focus of my card.  The sentiment is from an older Simon Says Stamp snowflake stamp set and I thought it worked perfectly with my card.   I used woodgrain cardstock from Memory Box for the background to provide a little more interest.  The die set and the woodgrain cardstock are my something new. 


Now on to the other thing that I mentioned at the start of my blog post.  Many years ago, before I started paper crafting, I was a cross stitcher.   But gave it up after I started having problems with my right shoulder (I'm right handed).   During COVID I started watching videos by papercrafter Nichol Spohr and in June of 2022 she started posting what are called Flosstube videos.   In her first video she shared that she had cross stitched for a long time and then gave it up, too, but for different reasons and had recently started stitching, again.  After watching her video, I got inspired to pull out a couple of patterns that I had and finish them.  During the process I discovered that stitching didn't bother my shoulder as much as it had in the past and now, I am stitching like crazy!   In fact, I have been enjoying stitching more than I have cardmaking which is why I have shared so few card related posts.  Many of my finished stitches have been turned into cute little pillows with the help of my mother-in-law who sews.   Today I'm sharing a recently fully finished object (or FFO in the stitching world) and a stitch that I finished but have not fully finished yet. 


This FFO is my favorite so far.  My MIL finished the back of the pillow with a beautiful poinsettia fabric and then once I got it home I added the red tassels.  I just love how it turned out.  


This is another favorite stitch that I completed right before Christmas.  I plan to finish this one not as a pillow, but on a display piece.  I know what I will be buying to finish it, I just have to get in a little practice with some smaller stitches that I will be finishing as ornaments.  Once I get the ornaments completed then I will finish this cutie!  

Thanks, stopping by today.  I hope you enjoyed seeing my card and what else I have been up to over the last few months.  If you happen to be on Instagram you can check out my feed (@rosigrld) and see other things I have stitched.  Have a lovely day!


9 comments:

Lisa Elton said...

I just bought that die too! Love what you've done with it. So pretty in the pink and gold! Good for you to take up your old craft, the pillow is fantastic!

Stef Perry said...

I love, love, love your gorgeous card with the elegant gold "piping" on the pink star - it certainly does look like a frosted cookie too good to eat! Thank you so much for joining us at the Color Hues!

On a side note, I was thrilled to see your stitching...your pillow is absolutely adorable, and I love your snowmen WIP! I haven't cross stitched in decades but I started watching Nichol's Flosstube videos (along with Jennifer McGuire's card stitching vids) and have begun to have the urge to try again. Thanks for sharing your wonderful stitch and FFO (just learning the new lingo)!

Karen said...

This CAS card is so beautiful! I love the gold glittery snowflake and the pretty pearl in the center! Thanks for joining us at Color Hues!

Greta said...

I completely adore the card--gorgeous! I admire your beautiful stitching & I can see why your favorite is that last pillow! I keep thinking I'll pick up stitching again, but so far it hasn't happened. Anxious to see the last one made into a decor piece!

Hannelie said...

This card is pure perfection Rosemary! I love everything about it!
Thanks for joining us at Color Hues :)

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

WOW! Your card is so beautiful, I love the pink and gold. A beautiful sentiment to match.
Your embroidery is awesome, so beautifully stitched, amazing projects Rosemary.
Faith x

TK said...

Wonderful card, the piped star is so pretty. And your cross stitching is wonderful! Love the pillow, but your unfinished product is just as wonderful. Can't wait to see more of these -- I came from cross stitching as well, and have plenty hanging on walls around the family's homes.

Tracey McNeely said...

Rosemary what a beautiful snowflake card but I have to say your cross stitching is so beautiful too. Something that is a bit too difficult for me, it would take me forever! Thank you so much for sharing your creativity with us at the Color Hues!

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Gorgeous stitching projects, Rosemary! I too stitched years ago - still have tons of thread and patterns. You've inspired me to try again :)