Hello friends! I'm popping in today to share a project I made with a newly released stamp set from Jane Davenport for Spellbinders called Walk With Courage. This set has images of two women created in a stylized manner, as well as the sentiment and a few other smaller images. This card definitely made me think of those strong women I know who are walking with courage right now. I decided to do some simple watercoloring with the image and it turned into a bit of disaster so I started over and heat embossed the image using gold embossing powder. I pulled out some ephemera pieces from the Spellbinders July 2020 card kit called Vintage Mementos. The butterfly I used in the layout is a soft yellow so I went with that color for her dress, shoe and hair. I used distress ink in scattered straw for the coloring. Once the image was dry I trimmed it down and adhered it to a card base. I heat embossed the sentiment walk with courage in the same gold embossing powder on vellum and trimmed out the circle. I then spent some time arranging the sentiment strip and the butterfly to find an arrangement that I liked. It turns out that my arrangement is somewhat similar to the sketch at CAS(E) this Sketch so I will be posting her over there. I really like how this turned out. Now to determine who I will send this to in the future! I will be back later in the week with another card using a new Jane Davenport stamp set so stay tuned!
Monday, September 21, 2020
Thursday, September 17, 2020
Hey there! I'm popping in with a couple of cards that I made for some MFT challenges. Their annual card design superstar contest is going on. I decided to challenge myself and enter the coloring virtuoso contest, as well as the clean and simple challenge. First up is the card for the coloring challenge. I have a lot of MFT's beautiful floral stamp sets and I used the Rose Garden set to make my card. I stamped the image on smooth bristol cardstock with VersaFine CLAIR Nocturne and then colored with ZIG markers. Because this is a coloring challenge I challenged myself to color the images using two very different colors. I started by coloring the flowers using a pink ZIG and once that layer was dry I added in light yellow. I pretty pleased with my coloring on this image. I die cut a piece of white cardstock with a label die from MFT (I think it is no longer available) and then trimmed down the two pieces even further to widen the center. I had inked up a piece of bristol with Speckled Egg distress oxide ink, die cut it with a mini scalloped rectangle die from MFT adhered it to the center of my card base and then trimmed down the sides. I adhered the other pieces with foam tape and then added the rose image to the center. The sentiment is from another MFT set and was embossed with white on vellum and die cut with an MFT fishtail banner die. A larger fishtail banner was die cut, layered with the first one and adhered to the card front.
The second card is for the clean and simple challenge for the Card Design Superstar. For this card I used the super cute Stacey Yacula Sending Sweet Celebration Wishes. This card is going to my sister-in-law who has a couple of turtles. I stamped the little guy and a cupcake on smooth bristol and colored with ZIGs just like I did with the first card. After coloring everything I die cut the images with the matching dies. I used another small rectangle die from MFT to cut the little piece behind the turtle and the cupcake. I cut a strip of black and white striped patterned paper and adhered that on one side of my cardstock base. I trimmed down a panel of white cardstock and adhered that to the front with foam tape. I then created a messy loop of black thread, adhered the rectangle on top and then added the turtle and cupcake. The sentiment from the same set was stamped on a fishtail banner with Nocturne ink, trimmed down to fit the design and adhered.
Wednesday, September 16, 2020
Hope you will head over to the AJVD blog to see the full design. Thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful day!
Friday, September 11, 2020
With the second card I was able to use three different colors of foil to foil the falling leaves and then an foil with a fun pattern to foil the sentiment. I colored the leaves using the some of the colors from the current Color Throwdown. To bring in the brown from the combo I mounted the panel on a dark brown card base. The top and bottom leaves were colored with several different Polychromos colored pencils to create the color blends. I did this so that one leaf was more yellow in color and the other was more orange in color, but still a blend of the two colors. I think they turned out pretty well. The middle leaf was obviously colored red (same colors of pencils that I used on the daisy image. I'm also including a close up of the foiling. While it was fun learning that you can foil with an iron I'm glad that I now have a laminator that I can use to foil should I get additional Gina K. foil mates sheets. May enter this one in the monthly mix challenge, too.
I hope my cards inspire you to try an unconventional approach to your crafting! Thanks for stopping by and have a lovely day!