"We do not remember days, we remember moments." Cesare Pavese

Thursday, July 2, 2020

poppies and butterflies...

Hello!  I'm popping in with a couple of cards.  First up is a card for this week's Color Throwdown and Sunday Stamps challenge.   I really like how this card turned out, but as I was making it I ended up creating a little bit of headache for myself, lol!   Originally I was going to save this card to share for my regular Wednesday post (July 8th) on the A Jillian Vance Design blog, but because I ended up using the color combo from Color Throwdown I decided to share it now.   A Jillian Vance Design has many stand alone die sets and the Poppy die set that was released earlier this year.  They also added a new product to their line up that helps you give dimension to your flowers like the poppy flowers I created.   You can find the Petal Pusher Stylus and Shape Up Mat flower shaping combo in the store.  The stylus is made of medical grade stainless steel and has two different balls to use to shape the flowers.  I die cut the flowers from a poppy red cardstock and then misted the back of each flower (2 flowers to make one poppy) lightly with water.  I let them dry for a little while and then used the stylus and the mat to give the flowers shape.  Once they were completely dry I adhered two flowers together to create each poppy.  The centers of the flowers were die cut from black cardstock (2 for each flower) and adhered to the center of the flowers.  I then die cut multiple leaves to go with the flowers.   The headache part came into play when I went to arrange the flowers per the sketch.   My flowers had a really nice shape, but nestling them together was very difficult until I determined that I needed to place the two smaller flowers on their sides!  Once that happened I was able to get the card finished.  The banner die and the sentiment are also from A Jillian Vance Design.   This is definitely a hand to a person kind of card with all that dimension!



The second card is for Freshly Made Sketches.   After all the effort that went into the first card I decided to go the easy route and use some pieces from one of the Spellbinders ephemera packs that I have.  These pieces were part of the Stay Wild card kit from Spellbinders.  I die cut some off white textured cardstock with an AJVD rectangle die and then layered up all the different pieces per the FMS layout.  Once everything was adhered I added the card to a kraft cardstock base.  Super, super quick and easy!

Thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful day!

10 comments:

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Two fabulous cards, Rosemary!! Especially love your poppies - what beautiful dimension!!

Lisa Elton said...

WOW and WOW!! Your poppies are just beautiful and I like your layered elements on the second card!

Wanda Cullen said...

Your cards are both gorgeous but I'm drawn to the dimensional poppies! Wow, they are so striking! Thanks so much for joining us at CTD this week!

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Your popy card is absolutely beautiful, with a fab sentiment and those dimensional poppes, - LOVE. Your second is just so clever, I love the way you have interpreted the sketch, beautiful details and colours.
Take care
Faith x

Jacquie Southas said...

Two stunning cards, Rosemary! The poppies are gorgeous and paired with the perfect sentiment. I love the collage you created with the FMS sketch! Thanks for playing along with us this week!.

Heather said...

Wowza, those poppies are GORGEOUS, Rosemary! Love the depth and elegance! Thanks so much for playing at Sunday Stamps!

Anita in France said...

Wow, Rosemary ... what fantastic poppies, so much depth and dimension ... stunning! That second card is beautiful too ... soft and so pretty! Hugs, Anita :)

Amy O said...

These are both gorgeous cards! I love the poppies and the mix of elements in the second card makes for such a pretty combination. Thanks for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches this week!

Greta said...

Thought I saw this post, but obviously I missed it! The pooppy card was on IG & is absolutely stunning! The second card is so modern & beautiful! You say simple, but I could never put the elements together like you did--fabulous! Congrats on the HM at FMS!

Claire Broadwater said...

Rosemary, this is gorgeous! I love those red 3D poppies! Such a fabulous, creative way to use our sketch! So happy you joined us at Sunday Stamps!