"We do not remember days, we remember moments." Cesare Pavese

Thursday, June 9, 2016

what a day...

Hey friends!!  I have really had a crazy day.  Had to take my car to the dealership because the automatic lock on the driver's side door stopped locking... ugh!!  Find out that the dealership does not have the part so it can't be fixed until next week when the part gets here... double ugh!!  So... I have to manually lock my door until next Wednesday when it will be fixed.  Upside to all of this it falls under warranty so I don't have to pay for it.  But... I get to the dealership to pick up my car, get inside, turn the key and nothing.... absolutely nothing.... triple ugh!!!  The battery was dead and after they got it running, again, they did a diagnostic and I learned that I needed a new battery.  Unfortunately that wasn't under warranty and batteries for my car are not cheap... sigh...!!  But at least there is light at the end of the tunnel... I have a new battery and the lock will be fixed next week.  And I did get to make a couple of cards for several different challenges.  The first card is for the current ColourQ and uses Viva La Verve sketch #1 for June.  To make my card I searched through my enormous stash of patterned paper and found patterns from four different My Mind's Eye pad that fit all the colors in the ColourQ combo.   I used the Verve stamp set Better Together and some hearts from the Verve Hearts Quartet die.  Very simple and straightforward take on the sketch.  I think this would be a great card to give to a guy.   Since this is a bit more masculine I'm going to enter into the current Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge: father's day/card for a guy.
 
The second card is for this week's My Favorite Things sketch and the new My Favorite Things color combo.  I do not own any of the MFT colors (ink, cardstock or otherwise) so I had to hunt around for colors that I thought were pretty close to the MFT colors.   Just like with my last card I used the MFT Mini Modern Blooms set, as well as a sentiment set from Amazing.  Instead of using a square for the central piece I used one of the Inside Out Stitched Rectangle dies and cut that from some blush colored cardstock.  For the circular element I used some loops of silver thread.   I used a Stitched Fishtail Flag Stax die to create the center strip element and the rectangle was die cut using an AJVD Polka Dot Rectangle Backdrop die.  For the blue flower and the leaves I did some second generation stamping (inking up the stamp then stamping it off before stamping the flower on the die cut).  The details for the blue flower and the leaves were added with the ink color at full strength.  The coral flower was stamped using two different shades of coral and the small flower was stamped with coral and blue ink.  After layering everything up I stamped the sentiment on a strip of cardstock using my mini MISTI, cut it in two and adhered it as shown.   Adding this to the line up at Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge:  flower garden.

Thanks for stopping by today... tomorrow should be a better day, lol!

Supplies:  Cardstock:  white, light grey and blush; Patterned paper:  My Mind's Eye; Stamps:  Verve and My Favorite Things; Dies:  Verve, My Favorite Things, A Jillian Vance Design and Spellbinders; Inks:  Hero Arts Latte, Stampin Up! Cameo Coral, Calypso Coral and Gumball Green; Memento Danube Blue; VersaFine Onyx Black; Coates & Clark silver thread

19 comments:

Karren said...

Car problems - grrr! Hope things get sorted out soon for you. In the meantime, these cards are just gorgeous - love how you've used the MFT colors and sketch and your ColourQ/Verve card is amazing!

Viv said...

Oh my Rosie what horrid annoying car problems for you this week...not nice!!! We are trying to get a quote for a tow bar, several phone calls and spoke to several different people and still we don't have a quote yet arghh! Beautiful cards here though Rosie,love the colour scheme and little hearts on the first and pretty flowers on the second too. Hope your car is sorted very soon ;) hugs Viv xx

Julee (Vervegirl) said...

These are both so pretty, Rosemary! Thanks for playing along with us at Viva la Verve!

Greta said...

Wow, Rosemary--I do love your style! These are both beautiful & perfect for the challenges! Can't believe those papers came from so many different pads--great job! Hopefully now you're done with car problems--haha!

Nancy said...

Both are just beautiful, Rosemary! So simple and elegant! Oh, I hate car problems. They are never convenient or inexpensive:)

Lisa Elton said...

Well shucks to all of the car issues. Hopefully when you take it back to get the lock fixed nothing else will go wrong LOL, my goodness! PRETTY PRETTY cards today! Thanks so much for joining us at ColourQ!

TK said...

Great cards, and I'm drooling on that first one... Glad your fixes were relatively inexpensive and quick!

Petra Swart said...

Nothing like making two stunning cards to forget about car problems for a while, hey!!!! Hope that lock will be sorted out soon, Rosemary!!!! And, boy, have you got two beauties here ...on both of these cards I really like how you have used the colours!!!! The first one is so lovely for the special guy in your life and the second one is so feminine with the lovely pastel colours ...and what a wonderful sentiment for someone special!!!! Both lovely, my friend!!!
Have a great weekend!!!
Hugz

Lisa Lara said...

Hi Rosi. Yep, never fun when stuff needs fixing/replacing. Usually happens in multiples it seems. Love your cards. I just love the woodgrain bg and hearts.

Barbara said...

Both cards are so pretty, your color choice is absolutely beautiful! Thanks for joining us this week on SImon Says Monday Challenge Blog! Barbara

Kath Stewart said...

pretty cards...love the use of the stitched background...good luck with getting your car fixed... ...thank you for sharing with us over at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge...hugs kath xxx

Anita in France said...

A couple of fabulous cards, Rosemary ... one cool, crisp and deliciously masculine, the other soft, floral and wonderfully feminine ... both brilliant! Do hope your car issues are resolved this week ... I can understand those grrrs! Hugs, Anita :)

Canonbury creations said...

Two fab cards Rosie and so different. Love the masculine one I'm always looking for ideas and the second one is so pretty! Cars are great when they are behaving themselves! Hope it's all sorted soon
Val x

Kara Lynne said...

So sorry to hear about your car and the triple Ugh that it brings! Your cards are wonderful! I love how you used those colors and sketch together, and those double hearts are terrific! Your second card is so soft and those blooms are beautiful!

Leigh Penner said...

These are both wonderful, Rosemary!

jenn shurkus said...

such sweet cards! hope your car gets fixed soon :) thank you for playing along with us at simon says stamp wednesday challenge!

Susan R. Opel said...

Thought you might like to see this!

http://bit.ly/MFTCC47Reminder

Susan R. Opel
Creative Ambassador for My Favorite Things

Martha said...

OH, Rosemary, I love how you always make sketches & colors shine!
Beautifully done!

Hope your car problems are over.

Kim Heggins said...

So beautiful and I love your wood grain background paper with the hearts and sweet sentiment.
Thanks so much for playing along with us at ColourQ!