"We do not remember days, we remember moments." Cesare Pavese

Tuesday, October 18, 2022

halloween cards

 Hello!  I'm popping in with two Halloween cards that I made.  I ended up with two cards because as I started making one card, I didn't like how it was turning out so some of the items I created for that card were transformed into another card.  Other items that were going to also be on the original idea ended up on the second card!  The end results.  I had a great time and I think I'm getting a bit of my mojo back.   Here is the first card.


The gnome and the pumpkins were originally going to be part of the original idea I had for a card.  After I colored the images with Copic markers and then die cut them I tried to make them work with some Halloween patterned paper that I wanted to use.   I ultimately realized that my gnome and pumpkins were too whimsical for the patterned paper, so I had to rethink things.   I decided to go with the sketch from Sunday Stamps and use some patterned paper from P13's The Four Seasons:  Autumn 6x6 pad.    The banner was die cut from the patterned paper and then I layered that on my kraft base panel.   The sentiment from a very old Reverse Confetti Halloween stamp set was stamped in VersaFine CLAIR Nocturne.   I then layered on my gnome and all the pumpkins.  I finished off by adding the strip of embossed green cardstock and the purple/white bakers' twine.    The card isn't too spooky, so I think I will be sending it to my great nephew and great niece. 


Let's have a look at the second card.  It has a spookier vibe!


As I struggled to make things work with my initial idea and I determined that the gnome and pumpkins weren't the answer I die cut the pumpkins you see on the card from some leftover panels that I had watercolored for a project I made a few months ago.  I thought they might work with the idea I had, but nope!  So that first idea was finally put to rest and I moved on.   I remembered I had all these fun Spellbinders dies that create a front door for different seasons.   The Halloween dies would be perfect with the pumpkins and so my card was born.  I used very old Halloween patterned paper for the background, the door and the stoop.  The stoop was backed with some of that watercolored paper I mentioned to make the sentiment really stand out.  I even used that paper to for the small window next to the door and for the windows in the door.  I like how it turned out.   I adhered everything and thought I was done until I spied the purple 31 that I had die cut for the gnome card.  I tried to make the numbers work on that card but decided the card didn't need that additional.   However, when I added them to the door panels on the second card, I knew they had found their home!  Even though there isn't anything else purple on the card I think the addition of the numbers works.   I think this card will be heading to my great niece who lives in California. 

Thanks for stopping by and have a lovely day.


6 comments:

Greta said...

You ended up with 2 great Halloween cards, Rosemary! I love your coloring on the first card! The pumpkins on the 2nd card are beautiful--perfect use of the leftover paper! Those dies make a fun, spooky card & the purple numbers are just right!

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

You've certainly succeeded in making 2 very lovely and fun cards Rosemary, the purple numbers look great and at home where they are. Beautiful work on both cards.
Faith x

Lisa Elton said...

Your worked your usual magic with all of those pieces on both cards, Rosemary! I think your mojo has definitely returned!

dj said...

Thanks for picking our sketch as your inspiration!! Super cute take on our sketch challenge over at Sunday Stamps!! Thanks for playing along with us!!

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Great Halloween pair, Rosemary! Just love the cute gnome with pumpkins & that spooky door looks amazing!!

Heather said...

Love that gnome, Rosemary - green and purple together is my favorite combo, lol. A very light Halloween card! I love your spookier one, too - all that piecing is amazing! Thanks so much for playing at Sunday Stamps!