"We do not remember days, we remember moments." Cesare Pavese

Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Birthday Wishes...

 Hello friends!  I back to share a card that I made for a few challenges:  Paper Players (sketch), Color Hues (colors) and Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge (anything goes).    I'm also going to share more thoughts on the new Waffle Flower Crafts 0+ shader brushes.  Here is what I made.

I don't know about you, but sketches that involve one of the elements being set slightly askew (like in the Paper Players sketch) give me fits.  I think it is because the off kilter panel makes it hard for me to put the sentiment on straight.  Anyway, I persisted and this is my card, lol!   I started by die cutting the Memory Box Backyard Wren die from white cardstock.  I then used one of the 0+ shader brushes to add kraft colored ink to the layers of the bird.  I really liked that with the small shader brush I was able to get the depth of color I wanted where it was needed.  I was also able to add more color to the bird's head after I had put the bird together and I didn't get the ink everywhere.  Waffle Flower sent me one of their little sampler brush packs that you can see in the photo.  I used the 0+ shader in the pack, as well as the larger 1+ shader.  I used the 1+ shader brush for the body of the bird.   While larger than the 0+ shader brush you are still able to ink up your die cuts with precision.   Once I had the bird done to my satisfaction I worked on the branch that it is sitting.  The branch is from the Birch Press Design Hillside Branch and Bramble Contour Layers die set.  I inked them up with the kraft and yellow inks and then layered them.  I die cut the rectangles from yellow gingham and white woodgrain cardstock.  In her introduction video about the new shader brushes Nina talks about how they pick up much more ink than the original brushes (or other brushes for that matter) and she isn't kidding.  I had to use a blender brush from another company to ink up the edges of the woodgrain panel.  I had to work twice as hard to get ink on that blender than I did for the Waffle Flower shader brush!  To finish the card I layered everything onto another panel of the white woodgrain cardstock.  I thought I had die cut down the panel, but when I went to adhere it to my kraft cardstock base I discovered that I had not!  Yikes... too late to trim it down so I just adhered it to the cardstock base as you see.   The last piece was the sentiment.  I got it on, but it wasn't easy, lol!



I hope I was able to share some additional good information with you about the new Waffle Flower shader brushes.  I can tell you that I plan on getting a set of 1+ brushes in the near future.  Thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful day!


10 comments:

Lisa Elton said...

What a pretty little bird! You did a great job combing the challenges, Rosemary. I know what you mean about the tilted panels, they do mess with the eyes! I have some of the WF brushes and they work great!

Hannelie said...

I had the same problem you had when I added my sentiment to my card for the sketch. Which panel to use as guide to place the sentiment. LOL !
Anyway, I think you did an amazing job with both sketch and colors. This is a beautiful card ♥
Thanks for making my chosen colors shine :D

Karen said...

The combination of challenges created one wonderful card! I love the simplicity of it all--even with the layers. Thanks for sharing with us at Color Hues!

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Gorgeous wren, Rosemary - perfect in that color combo!! Love your shading on the branch too!!

Nancy said...

Such a pretty bird, Rosemary! Love the two-panel layout as well. Thanks for playing at Color Hues.

TK said...

Beautiful shading, Rosemary, and I think your shading is perfection

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Well worth the hassle you had to get things right rosemary, this is lovely, beautiful shading and bird on the lovely branch.
Faith x

Sheri Gilson said...

Beautiful! Love the clean design! Thank you so much for playing along with us over at the Color Hues Color Challenge!

JulieP said...

I think this cute birdie is perfect for the sketch and I'm so happy to chose to do it in our Color Hues combo. Just lovely. Thanks for playing!

Greta said...

The Wren is so cute & love how you did the inking! Think I need to consider the new brushes!